Saturday, August 16, 2014

Remembering 9/11

Earlier this week, I had the chance to go to NYC to see the 9/11 Memorial and Museum.  I have now been to all three memorials of the events of that tragic day, September 11, 2001.

Shanksville PA




Pentagon Memorial Washington DC


As emotional as those two locations were, by far, I was struck the most by NYC.  I expected that I really didn't have any concept of how big the area of Ground Zero was, but I was so overwhelmed by my feelings when I got there.  We got off the subway and walked around the corner, and there was the new World Trade Center 1 building.  It is HUGE!!  I love this photo with the reflection in the World Trade Center 3 Building.















It took my breath away just to be there, but as we walked closer and closer, I was overwhelmed by the emotions I felt being at the memorial and being surrounded by what I had been seeing only on TV all these years.  The pools are spectacular, and the PERFECT, serene memorial to those that were lost that day.




The 9/11 Museum is underground, under the pools, which is amazing.  You actually get to see the footprints, indicated by bases of the sheared off pillars that used to be the tridents around the towers.


Here is what's left of a fire truck, one of two in the museum.


One of the things that I was looking most forward to seeing was the Last Column.  I have read a lot about it and was very interested in seeing it for myself.  The column has an interesting story.  It was buried under so much rubble that when they originally went to remove it they had no idea how deep it went.  As layers were removed, photos, signatures, and memories were written on, or attached to the column.  Ultimately it was the last thing to be removed from Ground Zero, and was preserved with the expectation that it would one day hold this important place in the museum.


The Vesey Street stairs were the route 100s took that day to escape.


This piece is called Impact Steel.  It is the area of the North Tower where the Flight 11 plane hit the building.


As heartrending and emotional as these items were, there was a much stronger experience in a huge area under the North Tower pool, that we were not allowed to take photos in.  This area contained all the personal effects, photos, videos, and  memories that demanded respect -- and brought such overwhelming sadness.  

Being an amateur quilter, I could really appreciate this amazing quilt.  This is only about 1/4 of the entire thing and there is a photo of EVERY victim on this quilt.


The museum and memorial were incredible, overwhelming, and emotional.  But they were also beautiful, strong, and completely fitting, to remember such a difficult day.

No Day Shall Erase You From the Memory of Time


No comments:

Post a Comment