Monday, February 11, 2013

One of those moments

Once in a while we get reminded that we are but a speck in the universe and there are things in the world much greater than us.

Last week I had one of those reminders.

My sister and I drove out to Delaware to bring Mom home.  She was here a month after she broke her ankle.  As soon as Jocelyn's birthday was over, she was ready to go home... understandably so.

On our way home from the trip, my sister and I stopped by the side of the road to watch this...


This was a gathering of multiple flocks of birds, millions of them coming in from every direction to land in an open field.  I'm not sure what kind of birds they were.  We thought they might be Canadian Geese, but they were white.  Maybe seagulls, but the wing span seemed much bigger than seagulls, so we're still not sure.

But it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

How did they know to all meet there?
Where were they coming from and where were they going?
What made them stop in that spot?
We'll never know, but I'm so glad in that moment, we stopped to watch this amazing event transpire.


That white line down the bottom of this photo is the countless birds that had already landed.  Amazing!


February 16 - update.
After talking with my Mom, about the birds, she was able to give me more information.  The birds are called Snow Geese, which is why they were so similar in size to Canadian Geese.  Apparently, they fly through this area around this time of year, and land in the fields to clear out the leftover corn.  There's still plenty of mystery as to how they all know where to meet, but at least we figured that much out!   What an amazing sight!

No comments:

Post a Comment