Monday, May 10, 2010

43 and holding

(That's me on my birthday! )

So... today I am officially 43 years old. I remember years ago, as a kid, thinking that if I actually lived to see the millenium, I would be REALLY old!! Of course, the new millenium came in a decade ago, so what does that make me now??

I was born in 1967. Lyndon Johnson was president, the Vietnam War was still going on, the VCR and cassette tapes had yet to be invented, (what the heck were CDs and the DVR!!), Thurgood Marshall is elected first african american Supreme Court Justice, Elvis Presley married Pricilla, and Mr. Rogers Neighborhood aired the first episode. (Yes, I did a little trivia hunting on the internet, oh! did I mention computers were not around in 1967 either??)
As I said, I turn 43 today. Most would say "I'm stopping the clock at 39". I thought about that, but some of my best living has been done in my most recent years! At 38 years old, I graduated from college and of course, I married my incredible hubby (Love you!!), at 39 we moved into this really great home, and at 40 I had my sweet baby girl Jocelyn. And I can't possibly discount this time with her!!

So, today, as the number 43 stares me down, I've decided that I like my life just the way it is, so I officially declare that I am 43 and holding.
Happy Birthday to ME!!

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to you is right! You know what I can't stand? This "40 is the new 30" business. UGH! I've always liked getting older. Not some of the physical aspects of it mind you, but the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mel-- I love getting older, largely because I love being able to "look back", etc. (I'm a sucker for any coming-of-age book or movie!! And dude, if there's a voiceover at the end of a movie by the adult character while a montage of scenes from the character's life flash by on the screen to any kind of emotional music, I am SO SO SO in a puddle of tears! :-)

    ReplyDelete