Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Me Do It!!

So far I have been able to avoid most of the dreaded terrible twos temper tantrums. Overall, Jocelyn is a pretty happy, easy going kid. I hear the horror stories, believe me, and I thank my lucky stars!!
But recently, I am hearing more and more statements such as "I do it!" and "NO!!! Me do it". Now on the one side, I am so thrilled to see her becoming more capable and independent. She had to depend on me for so long because she was so little and behind the curve on skills. It's so fun to see her learning how to do things on her own.
However, on the flip side, I am REALLY glad I don't have a job to rush to, or generally, any other event that has a time schedule, because we'd never make it!
"Me do it!" usually requires us to undo whatever it is that I did (I have some nerve, huh?), and let her take her time to do it herself. For the most part, this is not a problem, I can just wait for her and she eventually works it out (or reduces herself to the need to ask for my help), but I must say it's just a bit odd when my neighbors notice the length of time I stand outside my car door waiting for Jo to meander through the process of climbing into the car, then into her carseat, turn around to sit down, and put her arms through the straps. (I've considered bringing a book to pass the time!) This is especially fun when it's raining outside!
The one helpful option to speed the process, has been giving choices. I've heard many times that it's a fabulous thing to do to give children the power of making choices for themselves, and Jocelyn loves that power. She chooses what to wear, what cup to drink from, what diaper (Elmo, Ernie, Cookie Monster, etc.), I give her a choice whenever I can think of one. But the one choice that a friend told me about was: "Either you can do _____, or I can do it for you". I love this one! I sound like the nicest Mommy in the world when I say it, but the underlying message is "speed it up kiddo or I'm taking over!"
In all seriousness, I love seeing my little one growing up and becoming more independent. I just hope she will still need her Mommy for some time to come.

2 comments:

  1. sounds like you need to strap a knitting project bag to your body...that-a-way it will be handy when the tot is taking forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. .....and now I can say I saw this behavior for real. I really think grandchildren should come before your children. It's so much more fun and less worry.

    Janice Gagne

    ReplyDelete